It’s 95 degrees and sticky in the city today and that means I’m craving my favourite summer treat – cherries. Tart or sweet, I’m not picky. Not only does this fruit throw a party for your taste buds, it also boasts unbelievable health benefits.
- Cherries contain vitamins A, B, and C and minerals like calcium and phosphorus
- Rich in flavonoids and procyanidin, cherries help reduce stress and fight dementia
- High in potassium, cherries help combat hypertension and stroke
- High in fibre, vitamin C, carotenoids and anthocyanins, cherries help ward off cancer
- Antioxidants known as anthocyanins help discourage diabetes by reducing insulin resistance and increasing glucose intolerance
- Anthocyanin also helps reduce inflammation and plaque keeping your heart healthy
- Phytochemicals block inflammation-causing enzymes, reducing pain from arthritis and other ailments
- Tart cherries naturally contain melatonin which helps promote restful sleep
Let’s face it. I could finish a bag of cherries in one sitting easily. But this summer, I plan on making a couple of cherry-filled recipes. After searching high and low, I handpicked these delicious sips and eats starring the superfruit.
Cherry Pie Bars via Joy the Baker.
Cherry Almond Pie via The Candid Appetite.
Sweet & Sour Cherry Sparkler via The Kitchn.
Roasted Cherry, Couscous and Brie stuffed Poblano Peppers via Half Baked Harvest.
Roasted Cherry Sangria via FoodieCrush.
Chocolate Cherry Pudding Pops via Whipperberry.
Summer Cherry Crostata via Cupcakes & Cashmere.
Cherry Revitalizer Smoothie via Averie Cooks.
Chilled Cherry Fennel Soup via Running to the Kitchen.
Sweet and Sour Cherry Yogurt Pops via the baker chick.
Black Cherry Fudge Ripple Ice Cream via Kitchen Meets Girl.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Cherry Salsa and Quinoa via The First Mess.
Are you crazy for cherries?